Create Card List
You need a card list for two main reasons:
- To find out exactly how many cards you need.
- To make getting the images much easier.
Create a spreadsheet in Excel with a sheet for each type: Artifact, Creature, Enchantment, Instant, Land, Planeswalker, Sorcery and optionally, Total.
In each spreadsheet make columns: Name, Needed, Wanted.
Here is an example spreadsheet available for download.
Start filling out the cards you want into the corresponding sheet in the Excel document. This should be pretty straight forward:
- Put the card name in the Name column,
- Put the number of that card that you need for your deck into the Needed column,
- and if you'd like more of that card for other decks or projects in the future put that number in the Wanted column. You won't need more than 17 extra Wanted cards, so for the most part you'll be keeping the Wanted and Needed columns the same.
Create a sum formula at the bottom of each sheet. Then collate all of those totals into the Total sheet.
Once done you now have the total number of cards you need and cards that you want. Now go to the MPC site: https://www.makeplayingcards.com/design/custom-blank-card.html
Check the "Size of deck" dropdown (you may need to wait a while for the site to load the price list first). Find the number that's higher than your total number of "Needed" cards.
It will not match up perfectly, but that's why there's also a "Wanted" column in the spreadsheet. Any extra cards that need to be purchased can be filled in with any cards off the "Wanted" list, so decide which wanted cards to keep and cull the rest down until you have a total number of cards equal to the Size of Deck number.